Did you know that breathing is one of the most important aspects of our lives? It’s something that we do unconsciously, but it’s also something that we can control. Proper breathing has a number of benefits, including improved mental and emotional health, increased energy levels, and better physical health. In this article, we will discuss the importance of proper breathing and how you can start incorporating breathwork into your life!
Deep Breathing and Shallow Breathing
When it comes to breathing, there are two main types of breath: deep breathing and shallow breathing. Deep breathing is the type of breathing that you want to focus on, as it has a number of benefits. Shallow breathing is often caused by stress and can lead to a number of health problems. When you’re stressed, your body goes into “fight or flight” mode and starts to shallow breathe in order to get more oxygen. This can cause a number of problems, including chest pain, anxiety, and even heart attacks.
Importance of Deep Breathing
So why is deep breathing so important? When you practice deep breathing, you are taking in more oxygen which helps to improve your overall health. Deep breathing also helps to calm the mind and release tension in the body. It’s a great way to relax and de-stress, and it can even help to improve your sleep quality. Deep breathing is also known to boost your energy levels, which is perfect if you’re feeling a little sluggish.
Deep Breathing Tips
In order to start practicing deep breathing, you don’t need any special equipment or classes. All you need is a few minutes of time each day to focus on your breath. Here are a few tips for getting started:
– Find a quiet place where you can relax without distractions.
– Sit or recline in a comfortable position.
– Close your eyes and take a deep breath in through your nose, filling up your lungs completely. Hold the breath for a few seconds, then exhale slowly through your mouth.
– Repeat this process a few times, taking your time and focusing on your breath.
Once you’ve gotten the hang of deep breathing, you can start to add in some breathwork exercises. Breathwork exercises are a great way to get even more out of your deep breathing practice. Here are a few exercises to try:
– The Box Breathing Exercise: This exercise is perfect for beginners. Start by sitting or standing in a comfortable position with your feet hip-width apart. Inhale deeply through your nose, then exhale slowly through your mouth. Pause for a few seconds, then inhale again and repeat the process.
– The Lion’s Breath: This exercise is perfect for relieving stress and anxiety. Sit or stand in a comfortable position with your feet hip-width apart. Inhale deeply through your nose, then open your mouth wide and exhale as loudly as you can. Pause for a few seconds, then inhale again and repeat the process.
– The Alternate Nostril Breath: This exercise is perfect for balancing the body and mind. Sit in a comfortable position with your feet hip-width apart. Close your right nostril with your thumb, then inhale deeply through your left nostril. Close your left nostril with your ring finger, then exhale slowly through your right nostril. Pause for a few seconds, then inhale again through the right nostril and repeat the process.
I am also a huge fan of Wim Hof breathing! I personally use his app to practice and keep track of my breathing improvement, but below is a guided breathing video that you can use to get started.
So what are you waiting for? Start practicing deep breathing today and experience the benefits for yourself! Not only will you feel better mentally and emotionally, but you’ll also start to see a difference in your physical health.
I also recommend a book that I read last year by James Nestor called “Breath”. Incredible insight on some of the consequences that not breathing properly can have on our health!